by Marike Gevers
Prep: 20 minutes | Cook: 20 minutes | Serves: 2 people
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp plain flower
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 400g frozen prawn tails, thawed
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chilli flakes – dependant on taste
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- salt to taste
Optional: Add Teriyaki sauce and/or Pad Thai sauce
- ½ cup sour cream (can be substituted with coconut milk/ cream)
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon/ lime zest
Optional: 2 chopped spring onions and avocado to taste.
Mash the peas and mix with onion, egg, flower and breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
Add heaped tablespoons of pea mixture to the pan and flatten slightly.
Cook through until golden brown.
Remove from pan and add extra oil.
Fry garlic in oil over medium heat.
Add prawns and lemon/lime juice and fry for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and drain liquid.
Add ginger, chilli and salt to taste. Add Teriyaki and or Pad Thai sauce if preferred. Cook for 2 minutes and remove from heat.
Mix sour cream, chopped mint, lemon/lime juice and finely grated lemon zest together.
Place pea fritter on plate, add avocado and then prawns. Sprinkle spring onion over prawns and add mint cream sauce.