Prep: 10 minutes | Cook: 25 minutes | Serves: 3-4
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 3 large or 4 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp smoked paprika powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400g tin lentils, drained and rinsed
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Optional: 1 avocado, cubed and bread for serving
Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over a medium-low heat.
Add the onions and sweat gently for about 5 minutes or until tender and golden.
Add the garlic, cumin, paprika powder, carrots, celery and a pinch of salt.
Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Add the balsamic vinegar and wait for it to evaporate.
Add the tinned tomatoes, lentils and 1 litre of boiling water. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
Taste before serving and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Serve with a slice of bread and cubes of avocado.