(By Elise Bauer; Simple Recipes)
Saving lives by blood donation is a huge deal and ranks high up on the list of things we love about you. So while we would love to bake you a triple chocolate cake, we think this brownie in a mug will be a good alternative. Give it a try this school holiday, then tag @thewcbs and #Youngbloodsaveslives while we pop the kettle for you.
- 2 tablespoons butter, mild extra virgin olive oil, or neutral oil
- 1/4 cup (30 g) flour
- 3 tablespoons (35 g) sugar
- 2 tablespoons (13 g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch salt
- Tiny pinch cinnamon, optional
- 3 tablespoons (44 ml) milk, water, or coffee
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Ice cream, whipped cream, or heavy cream, for serving
Put the butter in a small microwave-safe bowl or ramekin and microwave for 30 seconds. If it’s not melted after that, continue to microwave in 10-seconds bursts until it is.
- Place the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt (if using unsalted butter), and optional cinnamon in a microwave-safe ceramic mug. Stir with a fork until it resembles brown sand and there are no clumps.
- Stir in the butter (or oil) with a fork until a paste forms. Then add the milk (or water or coffee) and vanilla, and stir with the same fork until smooth. The batter may look a little thin, but don’t worry—that’s how it’s supposed to be.
- Cook in the microwave: Microwave, uncovered, on high power for 1 minute. You may need to adjust the time for less or more powerful microwaves. If you don’t know the power level on your microwave, start with 1 minute and continue cooking in 10-second increments until the brownie is done. For a 1000-watt microwave, 1 minute is good; for 1650-watt microwaves, we recommend 1 minute and 10 seconds. After cooking, the brownie should still look a tad moist, not dry. Some wet-looking spots are okay; those will set up as the brownie rests.
- Let the brownie rest for 4 minutes. The brownie inside is very hot and still cooking, even though it’s not in the microwave. It may be hard, but the wait is worth it! It gives the brownie a better flavour and texture.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a small dab of cream (whipped or unwhipped).