• Make sure patient information on the form and blood sample match exactly.
• Write the information legibly or use a patient sticker.
• Make sure the doctor’s name and contact number are written on the form in the event there is a complication.
• Always include the date and time when the crossmatch blood sample was taken, along with who took the sample – the sample must be less than 48 hours old.
How to label a crossmatch blood sample
• Use a 6ml or 4ml powder-coated EDTA tube.
• Verify patient identity by asking their name and date of birth.
• Label the tube after taking the sample but before leaving the bedside.
• Place sticker vertically along the tube otherwise clearly write the patient’s name and surname, along with another identifier (date of birth, ID number or hospital folder number).
Printable version Download